Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Non-Believer’s Christmas

I am not sure how to prepare for my first Christmas as a non-believer.  I know I love the trees and tinsel and lights.  I love Christmas carols and Christmas movies.  I will give gifts to family and loved ones, not because of the Magi but because atheists are good people.  I have hung lights all over the house.  I would pay to sing Messiah again.  But it occurs to me that all the superficial decorations, celebrations and gift giving are just that.  Superficial.  I will likely be extolled to remember the “reason for the season”.  We know it was a Roman compromise to celebrate Jesus’ birthday on what was already a “pagan” holiday and that Jesus, if he existed at all, was most likely born in March.  Doesn’t matter.  (Funny that we conclude anyone who believes in a deity different than our own favored deity is a pagan or an infidel.  So sad.)

Does it matter that I now know there never was a decree from Caesar Augustus to take a census anytime near the birth date of Jesus?  That was just made up.  Does it matter that I now know that Herod died 4 years before Jesus was born?  Does it matter that it is impossible for a heavenly body to hover over a specific city, and if it did planet earth would be toast?  A helicopter perhaps, but not a star.  Does it matter that believing Mary was a pregnant virgin is such a stretch, no pun intended, and that I simply cannot imagine insemination by a spirit?  Miracles, miracles, miracles.  All believable for simple folks with no knowledge of what lightning is or how to make stainless steel.  Most of the events in their lives were mysteries, if not miracles.  Does it matter that upon deep reflection it occurs to me there was really no reason for God to father a human child, though many other “gods” of that era did so.  Especially if the sole purpose of that son whom he supposedly loved was to grow up and die a terrible death.  Goodness.  What an awful thing to do to a son one claims to love.  But the answer is, yes it does matter.  I find it sad much as I found it sad when I learned Santa was a myth.  But it is all mythical.

But I am not bah humbug about the pageantry of Christmas.  I just view it as secular, the very thing I used to rage against.  Yes, I can sing “Away in the Manger” and know it is a myth just as I can sing “Rocky Raccoon” and “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” and know the same.

OK, perhaps I will survive my first Christmas as a non-believer.  Just please don’t ask me to honor the reason for the season as I now believe we all really know it is for commercial, retail success. 


Happy Holidays!  Or, Merry Christmyth

No comments:

Post a Comment